24 January 2012

Day 10 of 75

Today's stats
Exercise: Treadmill walking
Time: 30 mins
Distance: 1.6 miles

Exercise: Leg press
Weight: 60 lbs
Reps: 3 sets of 12 reps

Exercise: Seated row
Weight: 40 lbs
Reps: 1 set of 12 reps

Exercise: Leg curls
Weight: 30 lbs
Reps: 1 set of 6 reps

Exercise: Leg Extensions
Weight: 40 lbs
Reps: 1 set of 6 reps

Calories: 284

Before I got on the treadmill today, I did some weight exercises.  The leg press is the most important one as that's the exercise recommended by the orthopedic surgeon to prevent knee pain from the strange problem* I've had with my knees since I was at least 12.  I did this last week as well, but forgot to list it in my daily stats.  The others were really just trying out some of the other weight equipment in the fitness room with the added bonus of showing me to be a wimp.

*When I was 13, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon at West Point because whenever I did lots of walking or tried running my knees swelled up like cantaloupes; there was also the bonus creaking, cracking, grinding noise that heralded my arrival when I walked down stairs.  I was told that I had something where ridges of calcium had been laid down on the backs of my kneecaps (hence the noise), and that activity would cause friction (hence the swelling).  I wasn't given a lot of options -- take aspirin for the pain and swelling, strengthen my thighs to take the stress off my knees.  There was the possibility of surgery if it didn't wear down on it's own.  
Well, I still get the horrible noise, but not so much the pain any more except when I walk up stairs.  Thankfully, my new orthopedic surgeon said the noise is not indicative of damage and as long as I'm not experiencing pain I'm good.  But I need to strengthen my thighs to take the stress off my knees, and half squats (which I hate with a passion) are the way to do that.  Thankfully, the leg press machine is a good substitute.   

No comments:

Post a Comment